5 Warning Signs of a Heart Attack or Stroke
One minute everything seems fine. You’re eating dinner. You’re on your way home from work. Maybe you’re chatting with family and friends or watching a movie. Everything seems normal.
But in a minute you or someone around you could be thrust into a life or death situation.
You might think that sounds like some kind of movie trailer, but it’s not. It’s real life. Every 34 seconds someone has a heart attack or heart-related event in the United States. Every 40 seconds someone has a stroke.
In an emergency situation like someone experiencing a heart attack or stroke, every minute counts. Do you know the warning signs of a heart attack or stroke?
Here’s what you need to know.
The 5 warning signs of a heart attack
- Pressure or feeling of fullness in the chest that lasts more than a few minutes or comes and goes.
- Pain in one or both arms.
- Pain in the back, neck, jaw or stomach.
- Shortness of breath.
- Unexplained cause for cold sweat, nausea, or lightheadedness
If you or someone else is experiencing heart-attack-like symptoms, call 9-1-1, or get to a hospital as soon as possible.
The 5 warning signs of a stroke
- Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg. Usually on just one side of the body.
- Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
- Unexpected trouble seeing or blurred vision in one or both eyes
- Abnormal difficulty walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
- Random and severe headache with no known cause
There’s no magic pill or secret to guarantee you won’t have a heart attack or stroke. But research shows healthy lifestyle habits can make a big difference. If you want to reduce your risk for a heart attack or stroke:
- Exercise regularly
- Maintain a healthy weight, or lose weight if you need to
- Don’t smoke, or quit if you do
- Get regular checkups
- Control blood pressure
- Manage stress in healthy ways
- Avoid or limit alcohol
- Get 7 to 8 hours of sleep each night
- And last but not least...Eat Healthy foods low in sodium.
You’ll find lots of tasty and healthy options on the Low-Sodium menu made with fresh ingredients and ready to eat in minutes.