Beans, Beans…the Magical Fruit for Heart Health
Beans, beans…the magical fruit. The more you eat, the more you…well, you know the rest.
What if you could get your hands on some magic beans to lose weight and control your appetite?
You’d whip out your credit card. Right? Keep the card in your wallet. A recent study published in the journal Food & Nutrition Research, showed that people who eat beans at meal time eat fewer calories. And they feel fuller longer.
Plus beans are a healthy source of fiber and protein that provide protective health benefits. How much fiber do you need?
- Women should try to eat 25 grams of dietary fiber per day.
- Men should aim for 38 grams per day
- Fun fact: 1 cup of kidney beans contains 46 grams of fiber.
- Beans contain the highest amount of fiber of any food group. And that’s a good thing.
High-fiber foods can help:
- Lower cholesterol levels
- Control blood sugar levels
- Lower the risk for diabetes and heart disease
- Improve digestion
- Satisfy hunger and help you maintain your weight
- Prevent certain types of cancer
Want some beans? Take your pick:
- Kidney beans
- Black beans
- Snow peas
- Pinto beans
- Green beans
- Lima beans
- And many others
Or just pick these Low-Sodium meals that include beans…
- Balsamic Glazed Chicken with Roasted Potatoes & Green Beans
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada with Tomatillo Sauce, Rice & Pinto Beans
- Chicken Patty with Rosemary Gravy with Lima Beans and Spring Vegetables
- Chili with Beans with Carrots & Broccoli Florets
- Beef Lasagna with Peas & Carrots
Although there’s nothing magical about them, there are multiple health benefits of eating beans. Dish up some heart-healthy beans. Music will follow. Get it?