How Much Protein Do You Really Need On A Renal Diet?
When you hear people talk about eating protein, it’s often associated with building muscle or losing weight. But how much protein do you really need when you’re following a renal diet?
The mantra “eat more protein” is a frequent mantra for bodybuilding. And it’s a big part of the Keto Diet and Paleo Diet. But when you’re following a renal diet, your protein needs are different.
Here’s the protein guidelines from two major health organizations:
- National Kidney Foundation: 0.55 to 0.8 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight .55 to 0.8 g of protein per pound of body weight.
- National Institutes of Health: 0.6 to 0.8 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight
5 health benefits of protein
Even though you need to eat less protein than someone with healthy kidneys, it’s still an essential macronutrient your body needs. Here are five reasons to get adequate protein from healthy food sources, even if you’re on a Renal Diet. Protein helps:
- Maintain muscle mass. Your body needs protein to help maintain muscle mass and prevent muscle loss when you’re in a calorie deficit. Your body also needs protein to repair tissue damage, especially after exercise.
- Burn calories. Protein requires more energy to digest and process compared to fats and carbohydrates.
- Satisfy hunger. Ever wonder how to control hunger cravings? Eat more protein like chicken, turkey, lean beef, eggs, or legumes. Protein helps you feel fuller longer.
- Manage weight. There’s a reason protein plays a big part in the Keto Diet, Paleo Diet, and other low-carb diets. Eating more protein and fewer carbohydrates can help prevent obesity and support weight management.
Healthy protein for a Renal-Friendly Diet
Wondering how to get the right amount of protein on a renal diet without compromising the kidney function you have left?
It’s easy. Just check out the complete Renal-Friendly menu of meals made with just the right amount of protein, sodium, potassium, and phosphorus. Pick your favorites, all made with fresh ingredients by our team of professional chefs, and you’ll have your next meal ready in minutes.