Be More Active While Watching Television
How much TV do you watch a day? Probably more than you realize.
Maybe you've got a group of favorites shows you can't miss, you like to relax by watching a movie, or you can't get enough of the summer line-up of reality TV shows. Take a closer look at your TV time, and there's a chance it adds up to at least a couple of hours a day. The average adult watches about five hours of TV a day, and that doesn't include time spent online, surfing the internet, using social media, or reading and sending emails.
So what do you do when you turn on the TV? If you're like most people, you probably spend your TV time sitting, and maybe even stock up on snacks in between commercials. And that's a problem when you're trying to control your weight and watch what you eat. But that doesn't mean you have to give up your favorite shows. Instead, you could sharpen your multi-tasking skills and watch TV while being more active at the same time.
Here are some ways you can do this:
- Need to change the channel or adjust cable/TV settings? Get up and walk over to the TV to make the change, instead of sitting there with the remote.
- Resist the urge to fast-forward through commercials or head to the kitchen for a snack. Instead, get up and walk around the house, or up and down the stairs until the show resumes.
- Put a treadmill, cycle, or elliptical trainer in the same room as your TV. When it's show time, hop on and get moving while you watch.
- Stand up to watch TV, instead of sitting in that recliner.
- Or swap the couch or your favorite chair for a stability ball to sit on while watching TV.
When you're trying to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight, being more active will help you reach your goal. The American College of Sports Medicine recommends 30 to 60 minutes of exercise a day. Your diet matters, too. Skip the fast food, soft drinks, and sweet treats, and adopt an eating plan that mainly contains fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean meats and fish, low-fat dairy products, nuts and seeds, and plenty of water to drink.
Want to eat healthy, tip the scale in the right direction, and still watch your favorite shows? Set a goal to be more active. And pick your meals and snacks from the Portion Control menu, which includes 79 different options, all made from fresh ingredients, and ready to serve in just minutes.