Take a Class to Keep Your Brain Healthy As You Age
Use it or lose it. That’s what your credit card company might tell you about your reward points. And some employers impose the same rules for vacation time.
But the use-it-or-lose-it rule also applies to your brain.
- Lost your keys?
- Walked into a room and forgot why you were there?
- Missed an important appointment because it slipped your mind?
If you’ve ever felt like your memory was slipping, or your brain seems slow to remember something, you’re not alone. Brain function is always in flux. And it’s influenced by a wide variety of factors like:
- Social interaction
Giving your brain what it needs can improve your memory, recall speed, problem-solving skills, and attention span. It can even help prevent age-related brain diseases.
Want to keep your brain healthy as you age?
So how to keep your brain healthy? Keep on learning. Take a class, learn a new skill, pursue a hobby.
In a recent study published in the journal Psychological Science, researchers found that learning new skills like quilting or photography helped people score better on memory tests, compared to other activities like playing games or entertainment.
You can take classes at your local community center or community college. But there’s also lots of classes you can take online.
- Senior Planet: https://seniorplanet.org/classes/(opens in a new tab)
- Khan Academy: https://www.khanacademy.org/(opens in a new tab)
When you take care of your brain, you’ll be able to think faster, improve focus and attention, and remember more.
More healthy brain habits
What else can you do to keep your brain healthy as you age? Here’s a few more things you can do to keep your brain healthy:
- Eat a healthy diet, including plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Build strong social bonds with others.
- Get 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night.
- Manage stress in healthy ways.
- Don’t smoke, or quit if you do.
- And maintain a healthy weight.
Hungry for more ways to eat healthy and protect your health as you age? Check out these Senior-Friendly meals made with fresh ingredients and ready to eat in minutes.