5 Dialysis-Friendly Foods to Prevent Inflammation
When you need dialysis treatments to do the work your kidneys can’t, eating the right foods can make a big difference.
Some foods contribute to inflammation (especially foods high in sugar, highly-processed foods, and too much alcohol).
It might seem like there’s a lot of foods you need to avoid when you’re on dialysis. And it’s true, you need to be mindful of limiting:
But that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy healthy food that tastes great. In fact, these 6 superfoods help prevent inflammation. Try:
1. Bell peppersThey’re low in potassium, but high in vitamin C, A, and B6. Bell peppers are also a good source of folic acid and fiber. And they’re a good source of antioxidants that help prevent inflammation and certain types of cancer. Try:
Garlic tastes great added to meats, soups and pasta dishes. But there’s a bigger benefit. Nutritional compounds found in garlic help keep your teeth healthy, lower cholesterol, and reduce inflammation. Try:
An apple a day keeps the doctor away. You’ve heard that old adage before, right?
There’s some truth to that. Research shows apples help lower cholesterol, improve digestion, prevent heart disease, and lower the risk for certain types of cancer. Try:
- Whole Grain Pancake & Sausages, Sweet Potatoes & Cinnamon Apples
- Cheese Omelet, Broccoli & Cinnamon Apple
When you’re on dialysis and living with kidney disease, getting adequate protein is important. Eggs are a good protein source that contain all the essential amino acids your body needs. Try:
- Fried Egg Patties, Sweet Potatoes & Asparagus
- Plain Omelet, Sweet Potatoes & Broccoli
- Cheese Omelet & Salsa, Broccoli & Hash Browns
Here’s another protein source that’s good for a Dialysis-Friendly diet...fish. Fish is also high in omega-3 fatty acids that help prevent heart disease, reduce the risk for certain types of cancer, lower LDL (bad) cholesterol and boost HDL (good) cholesterol. Try:
Fun fact...There’s also a long list of dialysis-friendly fruits you can add to your diet, including:
- Red Grapes
Eating great food when you’re on dialysis doesn’t have to be hard. Check out the complete line of Dialysis-Friendly meals all made from fresh ingredients and ready to eat in minutes.